Mark van Tongeren is a Dutch sound explorer and artistic researcher with a deep interest in the synergy of arts, sciences and contemplative traditions. Trained as an ethnomusicologist, much of Mark’s work is grounded in the world’s traditional musics. As a performer he primarily uses all sorts of vocal techniques, overtone singing, Jew’s harps, sound objects and electronics.
In the 1990s, he started his artistic output as a musician and bricolateur in experimental so-called ‘object theatre’ in the Netherlands. In the 2000s he moved into improv, with Amsterdam-based collective Oorbeek and many international collaborations. He then did a PhD in Artistic Research at Leiden University/Orpheus Institute Ghent. In the ‘10s, he began exploring the embodied performer more deeply, mainly in a series of dance pieces in Taiwan, where he lives.
He is best known for his work in the experimental voice, especially overtone singing, which he has steadily explored as a performer and ethnomusicologist in traditional conexts (Tuva / Mongolia / Tibet / Mediterranean) as well as in contemporary and experimental music.
- Before 30 Nov 2018, 90% of the payment will be refunded.
- From 1 Dec 2018 to 23 Jan 2019, 50% of the payment will be refunded.
- From 24 Jan 2019, cancellation will not be refunded.
- If there is a waiting-list participant who successfully fills the vacancy, 90% of the payment will be refunded.
- This retreat will be confirmed with minimum 9 participants. If the number of participants has not reached the minimum before the early bird dated 30 Nov 2018, we will notify the participants on 1 Dec 2018 and will arrange a 100% refund. The organizer is not responsible for airfare and any other losses.
Travel and flight arrangements:
- All participants are requested to arrange flight for themselves.
- Flight arrival destination is: Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport (Denpasar).
- There are direct flights from Hong Kong and Taipei to and from Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport.
- The airport pick-up service provided is optional. The transportation time from Ngurah Rai International Airport to Dragonfly Village is about 90-120 minutes (depends on traffic condition).
Visa on arrival requirements:
- Make sure to apply for visa on arrival and/or prepare health declaration forms required to travel to Bali if applicable.
- The organizer will not be liable for any losses caused by illness, flight delays, or failure to meet the entry requirements of the Indonesian government.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months, counted from the day you arrive in Bali.
- It is recommended that each participant purchases travel insurance. Please check with your travel agent for service options and coverage.
Future Sound Journeys:
January 2019, Taiwan: Cycles and Rhythms.
Some Past Sound Journeys:
August 2018 (and 2016), Sound Journey to Tuva
2016: Sound Journey: Ocean of Voices (with the Bunun).